Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

List of speed run times [spoilers]

For discussion about Trine, released in 2009 for PC and on PSN. Mac & Linux versions released in 2010/2011.

List of speed run times [spoilers]

Postby orunin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 pm (link to this post)

Original post:
So I'm attempting speed runs for Trine and so far it's going pretty well.

Pretty crazy due to the physics portion of the game, and I need to study every level throughly. They aren't perfect, but I'm happy with them. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to contribute :D

P.S. is the in game timer available via console? :wink:

Here are all the best public recorded times so far.

---

ALL RUNS - records on footage
1 - Astral Academy: orunin (1'43") - YouTube (easy)
2 - Academy Hallways: clux (2'10") - YouTube
3 - Wolvercote Catacombs: orunin (1'43") - YouTube (easy)
4 - Dragon Graveyard: clux (1'07") - YouTube (easy)
5 - Crystal Caverns: clux (1'31") - YouTube (easy)
6 - Crypt of the Damned: orunin (1'48") - YouTube (easy)
7 - Forsaken Dungeons: orunin (1'59") - YouTube (easy)
8 - Throne of the Lost King: clux (1'14") - YouTube (easy)
9 - Fangle Forest: orunin (1'52") - YouTube (easy)
10 - Shadowthorn Thicket: orunin (1'19") - YouTube (easy)
11 - Ruins of the Perished: clux (2'14") - YouTube (easy)
12 - Heartland Mines: orunin (1'27") - YouTube (easy)
13 - Bramblestoke Village: clux (1'57") - YouTube (easy)
14 - Iron Forge: clux (2'20") - YouTube (easy)
15 - Tower of Sarek: clux (1'00") - YouTube (easy)

Total Time
25'25"

---

SDA THREAD:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/inde ... #msg287128

(edit by Frozenbyte: updated all newest run to the original post from the link above)
Last edited by orunin on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 17 times in total.
orunin

Postby DarkJee » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 pm (link to this post)

Me i'm not trying to do speed run but 1-charater-only per level, so I try every level with every single character, no switching =) (the take 'n' throw ability of the warrior is so useful with the warrior only)

but the only problem is with boss when you control the wizard... so I draw the triangle thing, switch to thief 1 second to shoot fire arrow on the triangle and switch back to wizard, and watch the beautiful explosion :)
DarkJee

Postby knapman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm (link to this post)

cool to see some speedruns, wondering could u use player switching to avoid the kick delay between dashes?
also on the tower at the end you can just double jump directly onto the post, don't need to mess around with casting objects to get up there

edit: experimenting with a tower speedrun, with the run at the start, if you dash, switch just before he does the kick then jump and switch back mid air you can keep a fast run going
knapman

Postby orunin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm (link to this post)

knapman wrote:also on the tower at the end you can just double jump directly onto the post, don't need to mess around with casting objects to get up there

They are actually about the same, I just messed up :P. Like it's bad if you miss the jump which is highly possible if you clip onto a skeleton and then you have to wait for the spike to fall, where as you save time with the grapple and pass it.

knapman wrote:edit: experimenting with a tower speedrun, with the run at the start, if you dash, switch just before he does the kick then jump and switch back mid air you can keep a fast run going

Yeah, before I tried switching to the thief to avoid the kick, but when you switch back, he still does the kick animation. I might have been doing it wrong, but I actually tried jumping to avoid it too and but he would just kick in mid air. Maybe I'll give it one more go.
orunin

Postby Braid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 pm (link to this post)

The only level that actually makes sense speed-runnng is the last one imo since when you're doing a speedrun, you won't appreciate if you'd have to lose 10 seconds attempting to conjure a box, because it seemed at least for me quite sensitive and it takes approximately 3-4 attempts to create one. Not mentioning the wooden triangle which I am glad to produce within 6-7 tries.
Braid

Postby knapman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 am (link to this post)

i'd love to see the whole game officially support time trials, seems like once u have all the achievements there isn't a lot left to do, this is the perfect way to extend the gameplay, triangle detection will hopefully get patched as it does seem a bit off

heres my attempt at a level 15 speedrun, managed 1.13 with a couple of mistakes so could have been a little faster but thats all i could manage for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45kuMBFQGzI
knapman

Postby orunin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:33 am (link to this post)

Thanks a lot for the tips :D I managed to figure out the charge/switch/charge trick. You have to switch DURING a kick to cancel it out. Using my route again, I managed to get 1'12" with about 3-4 seconds of errors (with an unfortunate spike ball spawn on in front of the platform :P), but I like parts of your better. I might have to try them out.

Also, F8 -> "restartLevel" is good for making tons of attempts on levels without the option ;)
orunin

Postby knapman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 pm (link to this post)

nice run, shame about the spike spawn at the end, probably worth noting at 23 seconds if you jump up between the platforms instead of the left side u can avoid the plank appearing and go straight up, i screwed that up in my video as it appeared and i ended up headbutting it but it usually works
knapman

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:05 pm (link to this post)

Nice runs indeed!

If people gets interested about this, we can make the topic sticky and perhaps even think about arranging some sort of competition! :D
FB_Lauri

Postby whitebyte » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 pm (link to this post)

There is an elapsedMissionTime which I thought would show a timer but I couldn't see one...
whitebyte

Postby orunin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 am (link to this post)

knapman wrote:nice run, shame about the spike spawn at the end, probably worth noting at 23 seconds if you jump up between the platforms instead of the left side u can avoid the plank appearing and go straight up, i screwed that up in my video as it appeared and i ended up headbutting it but it usually works

I messed up too missed the grapple on the platform and hit the gears instead. I was too lazy to fix it so I just went with it :P
orunin

Postby t1rrr0n » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:37 pm (link to this post)

2 thought about speed-runs:

- it would be nice to have a small timer in-game (maybe with a patch?)

- what about boxes or wodden doors, which you have to destroy?
when you make a speedrun, of course you always restart a level. but after restarting, blocked doors are already opend (like you can see in the video above, Level 6 - Crypt of the
Damned Video at 0:16min)
t1rrr0n

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 pm (link to this post)

I'll ask about the timer from programmers.

I'm afraid we can't make any changes to the doors though, as it would require a bit too much work (and everyone speedrunning still gets the same delay from the door :D )

P.S. Pretty amazing that Wolvercote speed run! :lol:

Edit: programmers had no clue about timer (some of them are on vacation, have to ask from them once they return). However, made the thread sticky as this is cool stuff :D
FB_Lauri

Postby orunin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:36 pm (link to this post)

t1rrr0n wrote:2 thought about speed-runs:

- it would be nice to have a small timer in-game (maybe with a patch?)

- what about boxes or wodden doors, which you have to destroy?
when you make a speedrun, of course you always restart a level. but after restarting, blocked doors are already opend (like you can see in the video above, Level 6 - Crypt of the
Damned Video at 0:16min)

That door was gone because I shot a fire arrow at it :mrgreen: f8 -> "restartLevel" resets everything, it goes to the loading screen.

Also, just ran Shadowthorn Thicket (1'19"), uploading soon. That's 5/15 so far (and I've seen some ~3 minute hallways runs on YT)
orunin

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:47 pm (link to this post)

I laughed when I saw that big skeleton on the wolvercoart academy speedrun. :D Good stuff.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P
Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby orunin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19 pm (link to this post)

Thanks ^^

Also, I'm probably going to redo Crypt of the Damned and use the unlit torches. They can be grappled until lit.
orunin

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:19 pm (link to this post)

orunin wrote:Thanks ^^

Also, I'm probably going to redo Crypt of the Damned and use the unlit torches. They can be grappled until lit.

Heh, some exploit :wink: (this is possible only with the mouse however)

Nice run with the Shadowthorn Thicket too :D
FB_Lauri

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:48 am (link to this post)

To help you guys on some levels, what i did to avoid waiting for the door is i place four planks below the door and when it closes it re opens. Cuts some time off :)

-Edit, 1 Box works better :D
Zero

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am (link to this post)

Uploading my Video to youtube right now, Mages pwn lol. Its on the level Dragon Graveyard(4) :lol:

Finally uploaded : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9hFDNx ... annel_page

:D
Zero

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 am (link to this post)

Zero wrote:Uploading my Video to youtube right now, Mages pwn lol. Its on the level Dragon Graveyard(4) :lol:

Finally uploaded : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9hFDNx ... annel_page

:D

Hehheh, well, what can I say. Very clever one indeed. :D

However, I'm afraid that exploit is going to get patched :wink:
FB_Lauri

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 am (link to this post)

Dang it lol
Zero

Postby Mothra » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:07 pm (link to this post)

you are using fully xp'd characters for your speedrun ? aint that cheating ?
you should start in the beginning with no xp and specials (wizard uses the ramp) at all. apart from that oc: very well manouvered indeed
Mothra

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 pm (link to this post)

FB_Lauri wrote:Hehheh, well, what can I say. Very clever one indeed. :D

Wait wait wait.... Now that i think of it, its the same thing as the triangle why would it be considered and Exploit? Does that mean that you cant move the triangle any more either, im lost HELP ME! :?: :?: :?:
Zero

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:27 pm (link to this post)

Zero wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:Hehheh, well, what can I say. Very clever one indeed. :D

Wait wait wait.... Now that i think of it, its the same thing as the triangle why would it be considered and Exploit? Does that mean that you cant move the triangle any more either, im lost HELP ME! :?: :?: :?:

I'll have to check what is fixed and what is not. However, it's not like that's ruining the normal gameplay experience, but indeed for speed runs it's a bit boring, don't you agree? :D

So, I don't say anything as I can't be sure yet, but maybe speedrunning indoor maps without this exploit is the best thing to do first :wink:
FB_Lauri

Postby orunin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 pm (link to this post)

Added 3 more runs as well as organized it a little. 7 more runs to go until optimizing time. :mrgreen: I also added a link to a thread started over at SDA.
orunin

Next

Return to Trine