Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

When is Trine 2 for Linux comming

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on PC/Mac, XBLA, PSN, and later on Linux and Wii U.

When is Trine 2 for Linux comming

Postby StefanRvO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 am (link to this post)

Hi

I bought Trine 2 a couple of weeks before the final release last year, as i saw that you were planning to release a Linux version of the game in 2012. I know that we are only a half month into 2012, but I'm still starting to fell impatient about the linux release.

I know that Linux is not your first priority, as the number of potential costumers on the platform is much smaller than any of the other platforms that you are releasing for, and because of this, it is not really where most of your development time goes.

However, i think it would be nice if you came out with information about when you expect it to be done. Will it be this month, this quarter, or will we have to wait untill the fall.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance
Stefan
StefanRvO

Postby Franzi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 am (link to this post)

I would also like to know if you can give us a rough timeframe for the linux and drm-free version as i'm debating whether to install steam for the game or waiting a little longer.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Franzi

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:00 am (link to this post)

The linux version is now going to our QA, so it's finally getting closer! :D
FB_Lauri

Postby veepee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 pm (link to this post)

Hooray!

The wait is almost over. :)
veepee

Postby hero1900 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 pm (link to this post)

good news i was waiting for it for long time now.
will buy instantly when it get released
hero1900

Postby storma » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 am (link to this post)

Likewise, I've been looking forward to this. :D
storma

Postby Khudsa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 pm (link to this post)

Congratulations for your games, all are good but Trine was sublime! There is some feed to know when the Trine 2 is released on Linux?

Also, is there any estimated time for the release?

Thanks!
Khudsa

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:27 am (link to this post)

We're really close ... heh 8)
FB_Lauri

Postby storma » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 pm (link to this post)

*holds breath* :shock:
storma

Postby veepee » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am (link to this post)

*Joins holding breath* .... :shock:

On a side note, i'm annoyed by the lack of press coverage for Trine 2 in finnish mainstream media. Everyone's going crazy about crazy birds and they're making a big deal about the rise of content industry, but all they see is the one big thing that everyone else is writing about. Journalists are like lemmings.
veepee

Postby sverro2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 pm (link to this post)

*becomming purple* :shock:

I hate it when something releases "very soon" :(

EDIT: Yeah next week some exciting news :)
sverro2

Postby hero1900 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm (link to this post)

Hope to see trine 2 this comming week
hero1900

Postby titi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 pm (link to this post)

Looks like It's released :D

Buy it here and download instantly:
http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy

Some info about hardware and performance:
We have it running on 4 computers ( graphics set to Very High ):
1. Very good playable ( medium anti aliasing ):
Geforce 9600 GT
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
4GB Ram
Ubuntu 10.04

2. Very good playable:
Geforce 250 GTS
Phenom 2 X4
8GB Ram
Linux Mint 12

3. good playable ( but some parts are slow ) :
Geforce 8600GT ( activ cooling ) ( resolution 1280x1024 , medium anti aliasing)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2GB RAM
Ubuntu 10.04

4. quite choppy but playable ( unplayable with 1680x1050 )
Geforce 8600GT ( passiv cooling ) ( resolution 1440x900 , medium anti aliasing)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
2GB RAM
Ubuntu 10.04

------------------
What the hack are the networking ports for Trine 2 ( non steam version, its LINUX! )?
titi

Postby sverro2 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 am (link to this post)

Just bought Trine 2, but I have a few things to say:

- proprietary NVIDIA graphics drivers installed
- using Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit

The first thing you may notice when you install Trine2, is that you have to install it within the Terminal. You also have to remember (they don't tell you) that you have to use sudo.

I think the installation is REALLY HARD for the average PC user (and Linux user).

Then I noticed that Trine2 doesn't have a 64-bit version available. Not much of a problem, but it would be nice to see a 64-bit version.

At last I tried to start Trine2 in Fullscreen and Trine 2 crashed after showing a black screen. (Windowed mode does work)
I tried again with Desktop Effects disabled, I tried again in another DE (Razor-QT), I tried again with the post-release-driver from NVIDIA etc.

Nothing works. As I said before I really like to get the full Trine2 experience. That's why I waited for the Linux version to release, so I don't like to play Trine 2 in windowed mode.

EDIT: Fullscreen does work in non-KWIN Desktop Environments. Perhaps it does also work with the kwin from KDE 4.7. I use the backports of Kubuntu, so I have KDE 4.8 installed..
sverro2

Postby ChemBro » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 pm (link to this post)

sverro2 wrote:The first thing you may notice when you install Trine2, is that you have to install it within the Terminal. You also have to remember (they don't tell you) that you have to use sudo.

They do tell you.

I think the installation is REALLY HARD for the average PC user (and Linux user).

Not really hard, but I agree, not that kind of installer you want as an average user.

EDIT: Fullscreen does work in non-KWIN Desktop Environments. Perhaps it does also work with the kwin from KDE 4.7. I use the backports of Kubuntu, so I have KDE 4.8 installed..

I use KDE 4.8 and I did not have a single crash with Trine 2 and I can play fullscreen, though I don't have a Nvidia card, but an AMD Radeon card (using Arch Linux, and also an 32bit OS, so might be, why I don't have that much problems).
ChemBro

Postby veepee » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:15 pm (link to this post)

Just got it. I have Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, amd phenom 2 x4 3,4ghz processor, amd radeon 6950 vid card with amd proprietary driver.

The installation was a tad obscure but at least in my case the automatic installation of 32-bit stuff worked.

At first the game launched fullscreen but the unity desktop was visible on top the game screen (launcher and the top panel). Setting "MaximizeWindow" to "true" helped and the game seems to work as intended now. It runs quite well with"very high" graphics and "high" anti-aliasing. Could be smoother though, and there's very noticeable tearing in the intro video, despite setting vsync on in the launcher. But smooth enough to be very enjoyable anyway.

Some environmental stuff that i'd expect to make a sound are silent, like that small waterfall in the intro level, so i'm not sure if that's a sound problem or not. Could be that some of those things just aren't supposed to make sounds but it could also be that there's some problem with having lots of sounds at the same time.

Other than that, looks, sounds and plays fabulously.
veepee

Postby storma » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:29 pm (link to this post)

*breaths again* awesome, this will be a good year!! Thank you FrozenByte. :D
storma

Postby hero1900 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 pm (link to this post)

i will wait until it officially released and i would love to see it on desura it will be so much easier to handle installation there
hero1900

Postby Khudsa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 pm (link to this post)

Bought the Collector's Edition for Linux. Now downloading, but where is the OST for download? Is included inside the installer ? Quality, flac, mp3, ogg ? And the digital artbook?

EDIT: downloaded, installed, the game looks fantastic but no artbook or OST (original sound track). Sent an e-mail to support.
Khudsa

Postby hero1900 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:49 pm (link to this post)

i think there is no official statement on the linux release because of the steam 50% discount on trine 2 hehehehe
maybe thats the whole story, and why they didnt officially announce it. they want to wait until it finish
hero1900

Postby sverro2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 am (link to this post)

Ok I actually was a bit irritated yesterday, because of Trine 2 not working properly on my installation. But after playing Trine2 for a while, I just have to be possitive :). The game looks awesome. This native version runs faster than the Wine version and overall I really, really enjoy playing this game with my family (and friends in a few days).

As I said: the graphics are amazing, but I actually do have SOME graphical glitches... Some that I didn't have with the Wine version. I do have some weird glitches in the background .... sometimes.

Some screenshots:
http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/glitch1.jpg
http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/glitch2.jpg

Glitch 2 is in nearly every "great distance" background. I haven't seen this "weird horizon" in another level than this one. (mosslight marsh)

These glitches are always in the background (not in front)...

- Graphics GTS 450, NVIDIA current drivers and NVIDIA post-release-driver tested

Does anyone else have these glitches, or am I the only one?

- Trine 2 on KDE does work now (doesn't crash anymore and I absolutely don't know why)

Oh and let's not only show buggyness. I said I have SOME glitches. Here's some prove that most of the game (and background) is still beautifull:
http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/b ... trine2.jpg
sverro2

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 am (link to this post)

Hello everyone!

The current Linux version is still considered a "testing version" thus there hasn't been any official announcement yet.
All the feedback we can get on how it's performing is greatly appreciated.

There's a "know issues" text file coming with the game which has pretty good list of issues we're aware of (and some workarounds).

The first thing you may notice when you install Trine2, is that you have to install it within the Terminal. You also have to remember (they don't tell you) that you have to use sudo.

Sudo / super user is only required if you're installing the game outside of your home folder and wan't the installer to fetch the dependcies for you, so its recommended to use sudo, but not mandatory.

I do agree that the installer isn't very fancy, but its fairly simple to use (after all it works pretty much as any graphical installer, just without the graphics) and most Linux users are comfortable with little bit of terminal fun :). If it feels very hard the README gives a little help on how to get rolling.

At first the game launched fullscreen but the unity desktop was visible on top the game screen (launcher and the top panel).

This is an issue with Unity/3D desktops, setting the game's resolution to the same as desktops can fix it, but usually disabling some 3D effects from desktop or setting MaximizeWindow to true as you suggested is needed.

the graphics are amazing, but I actually do have SOME graphical glitches... Some that I didn't have with the Wine version

We had similar glitches on some of our testing machine, but not on others, so I'msuspecting these issues have something to do with graphics drivers/hw, but will have to get some more data on this.

Could be smoother though, and there's very noticeable tearing in the intro video, despite setting vsync on in the launcher

The VSync isn't working properly in the Linux version (one of the coders explained me what was the issue, but cannot recall it at the moment, I'll update this post once I've checked it)

As you might suspect there's a lot going on at the moment with the Steam sale and such, but I'll be trying to answer your questions as soon as I can.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the game :D
FB_JussiE

Postby Khudsa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 am (link to this post)

Hello FB_JussiE,

The OST (soundtrack) and digital artbook from the Collector Edition will be available on the official release? On the store there is only the link for the game. I have wrote a email to humble contact and they say that OST and artbook are on the steam installation of the game, you will put the download link to OST and artbook on the official release?

PD: The game for me (Debian SID x86-64, amd phenom, ati hd 5750) works perfect, without glitches.
Khudsa

Postby shatsky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am (link to this post)

"Linux and DRM free versions will be added to Humble Store purchases in 2012"
Does this mean that those who have bought it earlier can now download this testing version and will be able to download the final one when it is ready?
shatsky

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:36 am (link to this post)

Hey again

The OST (soundtrack) and digital artbook from the Collector Edition will be available on the official release? On the store there is only the link for the game. I have wrote a email to humble contact and they say that OST and artbook are on the steam installation of the game, you will put the download link to OST and artbook on the official release?

There will be links to the downloads in the humble store once it gets fixed, sorry for the delay

"Linux and DRM free versions will be added to Humble Store purchases in 2012"
Does this mean that those who have bought it earlier can now download this testing version and will be able to download the final one when it is ready?

If you have bought the game from the humble store you will be able to download all the additional game versions without extra fees including all the platforms and non-DRM version once it is released. So in short, yes you can download the current version and any updated version in the future.
FB_JussiE

Next

Return to Trine 2