Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

Linux Version, Please tell me you have/planning one

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on PC/Mac, XBLA, PSN, and later on Linux and Wii U.

Linux Version, Please tell me you have/planning one

Postby jlibster » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 am (link to this post)

Hey, got to playing Trine on Linux. Its a fantastic creation, made even more so by the fact it ran on my Linux 64-bit gaming box (yes, we Linux people have gaming hardware). Anyway, would love to acquire the sequel. Please and thanks!! Your potentially 2nd time customer.
jlibster

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:14 pm (link to this post)

Yes, we will do Linux version, and for Trine 2 it will come close to launch of other versions (if not at launch, at least shortly after). 8)
FB_Lauri

Postby Rahabib » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:52 pm (link to this post)

nice! I just got the humble bundle after seeing you had a linux version. I figured I should support companies who do this, even if it means buying it twice.
Rahabib

Postby hero1900 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:09 am (link to this post)

wow this is a wonderful news
cant wait to get it
thanks for supporting linux
:D
hero1900

Postby veepee » Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm (link to this post)

Hint: I just got my first purchase through Ubuntu Software Center, Steel Storm 2: Burning Retribution, and that was a convenient way to buy software.
veepee

Postby veepee » Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm (link to this post)

Yay! I'll definitely get Trine 2 for Linux! Do you have a price point set?

Also, if it's something you can answer, have the Linux ports been successful in general, compared to additional costs for porting?
veepee

Postby hanzo » Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm (link to this post)

agree with veepee, selling the game via ubuntu software center too could be great both for ubuntu users and for you :)

anyway, independently from the way of distribution, if my hardware will be enough for the min. requirements I'll buy it for sure, I really liked Trine
hanzo

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 pm (link to this post)

We're in the process of getting the Linux versions to Ubuntu Software Center, and eventually Trine 2 will hopefully end up there as well when it's done.

There's no pricepoint yet for Trine 2 but the Linux version will have the same price as the other versions. I'm quite confident people will be happy about the price in general. No idea on the requirements yet, although they will be close to Trine 1.

Overall I think we've been happy with the Linux sales - or the portion of Linux users in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, that was awesome. Linux does come with more technical support issues so that's something we need to be better prepared for (still have many issues unsolved for Trine/SGs). Anyway I'm very interested to see how the regular sales go, I guess we'll see in a few weeks or so. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby thenewguy » Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 pm (link to this post)

Will Forzenbyte be doing semi-public beta testing for Trine 2 on Linux? It seemed to work well for the original.
thenewguy

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 20, 2011 8:28 pm (link to this post)

Possibly, but even in that case not before the game has been launched on other platforms. But we'll have to wait and see how it goes - too early to tell yet to be honest. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby matthewbpt » Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 pm (link to this post)

It would be great if you could make all platforms available when the user purchases for any other platform. For example I'd like to be able to buy it on Steam, and then have the Linux version available to download as well (similar to what's been done with the humble bundle). Will this be possible?
matthewbpt

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm (link to this post)

Something like that might be possible down the road, but not in the near future. Setting up stuff like that takes a lot of time, and is possibly a sort of a logistical nightmare (we'd need to be able to cross-check various information from many third parties, not to mention setting up the servers and downloads etc for that). We'll typically help you out on a case-by-case basis though, so for situations like that just send us an email and we'll see what we can do.

What Steam is doing/planning with Steamworks is a good step forward (Portal 2 for PS3/Win/Mac) but unfortunately it's not ready for us to use, and of course Steam doesn't yet support Linux either.

So for Trine 2 I can't promise this, we'll probably have our hands full with just the regular releases and making sure the game is great and gets great support. In general we are fans of the "buy it once, play it on any system" idea, so we'll see how the future goes...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby thenewguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm (link to this post)

Personally I'm okay with buying the game once for each platform. I bought two copies of Trine 1. It's inexpensive enough that buying Trine twice cost less than buying most big-name games once.
thenewguy

Postby kadu20es » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 am (link to this post)

Hi, guys,

Please, I'm writing my second book about Ubuntu (based in Ubuntu 11.10) (the fisrt book, "Ubuntu - Guia do Iniciante" - Ubuntu - Beginners Guide in portuguese, had more than 8.000 downloads at the week release (May, 29, 2010) and published in Brazil as a magazine format) and I'm putting some comercial games informations, but I need a (if not the real date) closely date of Trine 2 release to the readers.

I just bought Trine I at the Steam Summer Camp event in July, and I'm eating my fingers of waiting Trine 2...nut, until now, I didn't activate my Trine game, because I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user, and, I just like to run native games, as Oil Rush (I pre-bought it), so, I just want to know if when Trine I get available for Linux, you guys, will give-me the blessing to do not need to buy it again...or, if there will be a little promo to owners of the game in another platform?

Want to know more about my works with Ubuntu Community in Brazil? Send me an e-mail: carlos (dot) edu (dot) val (at) hotmail (dot) com or in my blog: http://orgulhogeek.net

Regards
kadu20es

Postby alexThunder » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 pm (link to this post)

Will it be available for Desura? The Linux version isn't out yet, but (if there'll be a release for Desura) will there be a way to purchase the game and get a code to redeem on Desura?
alexThunder

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am (link to this post)

kadu20es, we don't have a final release date for Trine 2 yet. We're still aiming for late September (for consoles & Win/Mac) but there's still a lot to do... and Linux will be some weeks later (which can turn into a bit more, it's sometimes hard to predict how things will go). So the only good estimate I can give is that Trine 2 will release on Linux in Q4 of 2011, probably near the end of it rather than beginning. I hope we can stick to that...

For the platforms question, we'll try to accommodate these kind of situations on the computer platforms (e.g. Win/Mac/Linux), but we do not yet have any kind of proper plan or system for that. So emailing us is the best solution at the moment.

And yes, when Desura gets a Linux client, we'll release Trine (and Trine 2 I suppose) for Desura as well. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby spencer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:20 am (link to this post)

fb_joel wrote:Overall I think we've been happy with the Linux sales - or the portion of Linux users in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, that was awesome. Linux does come with more technical support issues so that's something we need to be better prepared for (still have many issues unsolved for Trine/SGs). Anyway I'm very interested to see how the regular sales go, I guess we'll see in a few weeks or so. :)

At least on my box (a pretty standard Debian Stable set-up) it all ended up working eventually. I know there was a bit of a panic right at the Humble Frozenbyte bundle since the Linux port was new then and you suddenly had a bunch of customers with technical problems, but as of now the Frozenbyte games work great on Linux. Better than a number of other games that have come in Humble Bundles, I might add. It was also great to see the Frozenbyte people working hard to solve the problems that came up- a lot of companies will just say "We got it working on configuration xyz, and if you have trouble on another set-up you're on your own."

You can count on a sale of Trine 2 from me. 8)
spencer

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm (link to this post)

Well that's nice to hear. :) (And a reminder we should get the Ubuntu Software Center sorted, shouldn't be too much of a problem anymore...)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby clayton2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:42 am (link to this post)

fb_joel wrote:Well that's nice to hear. :) (And a reminder we should get the Ubuntu Software Center sorted, shouldn't be too much of a problem anymore...)

I forgot that Trine, Shadowgrounds, and Shadowgrounds: Survivor were coming to the Ubuntu Software Center.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that everything in the Ubuntu Software Center is in .deb format.

So would it be possible for you folks to send the debians to Humble Bundle when you make the debian versions available?

Because I (and I'm sure others) use Ubuntu, and debians are the most Ubuntu-friendly (and Ubuntu user-friendly) installers for Ubuntu, since Ubuntu is debian-based.

Some reading about Debian related to Ubuntu for anyone interested: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers
Last edited by clayton2 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
clayton2

Postby thenewguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:07 am (link to this post)

Has Trine arrived in the Ubuntu Software Centre? It would be nice to have that as an easy way to install it on new machines.
thenewguy

Postby fb_joel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 pm (link to this post)

It has not. Still contract work to be done. But I hope to get it sorted soonish...

The Debian thing we'll see once we get the game(s) on the USC.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby spencer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 am (link to this post)

clayton2 wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think that everything in the Ubuntu Software Center is in .deb format.

So would it be possible for you folks to send the debians to Humble Bundle when you make the debian versions available?

Ubuntu uses .deb, yes, but I'm not sure if some of the new third-party stuff available in their app store (or whatever they call it) is packaged up differently. It's a bit risky to take a .deb packaged specifically for Ubuntu and try to install it on Debian, or vice-versa. There are different versions of some libraries and a few other differences that can lead to messy results. Oftentimes it works out fine, but sometimes... well, proceed at your own peril.
spencer

Return to Trine 2