Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

Tower of Sarek

For discussion about Trine, released in 2009 for PC and on PSN. Mac & Linux versions released in 2010/2011.

Tower of Sarek

Postby Shodan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm (link to this post)

I have recently been playing (and enjoying) Trine, but I have run into trouble with the Tower of Sarek level.

I would not complain that it is too hard; that would seem absurd since many people have no problem with it.

My complaint is that it is too different from the rest of the game, which is generally laid back and methodical.

While I am not a master gamer by any measure, and I do not play many games these days, I don't believe that I am terrible either, however. System Shock 2 on Hard, with the original weapon degradation rate is not trivial in my estimation, and as one may deduce from my nickname, I loved doing it.

Perhaps the problem is I did not grow up playing platformers, other than Commander Keen, if that qualifies. I just don't seem to have a skill set built up for The Tower of Sarek, and the earlier Trine levels did little to prepare me for it.

From the devs, I ask for better preparation in future games for any style of play required. While on their own both games are enjoyable, no one would drop a chess match into the middle of a racing sim and expect applause. At least introduce checkers first. ;-)

Is there some other game I should play to learn time-limited platforming? Or re-play the earlier levels really fast?
Shodan

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:37 pm (link to this post)

Duly noted! We made a clear mistake with the final level, and we won't do such drastic changes in Trine 2 gameplay.

However, in Tower of Sarek, the lava should not rise at the easiest difficulty.
FB_Lauri

Postby Shodan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm (link to this post)

I finally got it, and I did it on Hard, too. It really wasn't too bad after all. The ending is hilarious! If Trine 2 brings back these characters, it better address their life changes somehow, for humors sake.

I prefer to look for a "walkthrough" rather than turn down the difficulty if a game really has me stumped, as this one did, so I looked up a video on YouTube of someone doing the Tower, and that did help, as there was a path I totally missed.

What really made the difference however was turning down the graphics and resolution. I have an old PC, and my display looks best at the native 1600x1200, so I only get about 30fps, and it varies. This is normally fine for me. In this case however, getting a full 60fps vsync made a big difference in getting the timing right.

Anyone who is having trouble with this level, make sure you are getting a high frame rate!

By the way, afterward I tried it on Easy. The lava comes slower, but it still rises.

Great game, thanks.
Shodan

Postby Shodan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:49 pm (link to this post)

I watched some other video demos, and some people really move! My gameplay style was more box-dropping-man-wizard-gone-wrong than Spider Woman. No wonder the Final was so abrupt to me.

I hope in the next game there is a level where the wizard must build something crazy, like that puzzle where you balance six nails on one. That should trouble the trapeze artists as this one did me. :D
Shodan

Postby thenewguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm (link to this post)

I had the same reaction. I played the game through on medium difficultly and I'm one of those slow puzzle solvers. Just kind of walked through the levels. So it was quite the shock to get to the Tower and suddenly be on a time limit with boxes and stuff appearing all over the place. While I appreciate the developers making th last level special/harder, the different style to game play was a bit unwelcome. As someone else said, it was like mixing chess with a racing sim.
thenewguy

Postby po12345 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:19 am (link to this post)

I've just completed Trine and for some reason the last level didn't attracted me alot , I didn't liked it. Otherwise , the game has beautiful music and I loved the graphics , the background colors... Resolving those puzzles was amazing but really easy to bypass. And for the Tower of Sarek , where is that boss fight ? Also , the lava surge was quick...

That would be awesome that in Trine 2 it would have a real boss fight :D
po12345

Postby fb_joel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm (link to this post)

Indeed, the last level is something that we regret, so in Trine 2 we will instead have a proper boss battle that will suit to everyone's playing style - that's the plan at least! :)

(Shodan, did you play the retail version of the game perhaps? The lava shouldn't rise on Easy after the 1.05 patch.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby kostasmpyras » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 pm (link to this post)

i just finished the last leved on hard. (PS3). Well it took me some time to be honest, first i thoguht i could snipe down the skeleton mage so i lost alot of time on that. Just one piece of advice. Make sure the ressurection gem is in the thief's hands. She is by far the most usefull for this stage. And for the record.... I liked Tower of Sarek.
kostasmpyras

Postby Gzegzolka » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:09 pm (link to this post)

I wouldn't call this level "mistake", but proper boss fight would fit better than just getting on top on that tower. I like idea with rising lava level and facing those random created items, but not together, it's too much. I like when the gameplay is varied.
Gzegzolka

Return to Trine