Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

Level editor: speculations, rumours and information

For discussion about Trine, released in 2009 for PC and on PSN. Mac & Linux versions released in 2010/2011.

Re: Level editor: speculations, rumours and information

Postby gmy77 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm (link to this post)

Any news about level editor ??
gmy77

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:11 pm (link to this post)

No real news, sorry. I think we'll soon (before the end of the year) make a decision though, and let you guys know then.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby aphexLOX » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 pm (link to this post)

A level editor would make this game absolutely stunning! However, is there any possibility to learn from Warcraft III's legacy and allow people to upload or host their own custom maps online for others to play? This would promote a HUGE Trine community much like how Little Big Planet is flourishing, and is something I (and presumably everyone else) would definitely pay another 20 bucks for. This would make the game timeless, and infinitely increase its lasting value. I'm sure this would be more possible for PC clients, but how probable is this for PS3? (as I have the PSN version) Thanks for all your time and thanks for such a wonderful game!
aphexLOX

Postby fb_joel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:08 pm (link to this post)

If we would release the level editor we'd try to make it a bit easier to load another user's level than what it currently is.

And in any case, the level editor would be PC-only. It uses lots of Windows components so it's just impossible to do it on PS3 without a major rewrite. Sorry.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby Kein » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm (link to this post)

That's ok, just PCw ill be enough, I think.

You guys just release it :<
Kein

Postby aphexLOX » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:26 pm (link to this post)

fb_joel wrote:If we would release the level editor we'd try to make it a bit easier to load another user's level than what it currently is.

And in any case, the level editor would be PC-only. It uses lots of Windows components so it's just impossible to do it on PS3 without a major rewrite. Sorry.

No worries. As I mentioned before, it's totally worth paying another 20 bucks for; so whenever you guys decide to release a level editor, I'm definitely going to pick up a PC copy for it. I can't wait!
aphexLOX

Postby stubob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 am (link to this post)

Any word on this? I think this would be GREAT!
stubob

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:56 am (link to this post)

Time flies so fast... no change - it's still undecided. I think we'll give it some serious consideration now that the holiday vacations are over, so expect to hear the result within a month or so...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fize4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:40 am (link to this post)

so my guessing that it won't pop out to the ps3 :cry:
fize4ever

Postby sanjo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:28 pm (link to this post)

If you release the level editor, I promise not to destroy the Earth.
sanjo

Postby Rahabib » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:51 pm (link to this post)

for Trine 2, you definately need a level editor and a minor mod tools/scripting. I was just playing it last night and thought, "how cool would it be to do a remake of the old NES classic 'Wizards and Warriors'" But in order to do that, you would need a way to create items and give them properties. Also you would need a way to restrict the levels to be only played by the knight.

Anyway, keep that in mind should you decide to create Trine 2. Also, next time - online multiplayer. There I said it.
Rahabib

Postby Fahdi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 am (link to this post)

sign me up.
Fahdi

Postby stubob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 am (link to this post)

You guys should totally release it right now, as is. I totally want to make some sweet maps for this game.
Don't worry about the documentation, I don't read it anyway :lol:
stubob

Postby Braid » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:09 am (link to this post)

I'm voting for the level editor.

As you can see, the populary of the game had a rocket boom a few months after the release, but because of the rather small number of levels and not so excellent replayability, people's interest in Trine is now notably lower.

Which is a pity because Trine has a great potential with things like mods/maps/levels...
Braid

Postby Lunatica » Wed May 05, 2010 5:22 pm (link to this post)

A level editor would be really cool - there are a lot of interesting level ideas floating around in my head.
Lunatica

Postby vorob » Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm (link to this post)

registered especially to ask for an editor, and here i see that such thread already exist! Cool! I'm looking forward for your (developers) decision on releasing editor.
vorob

Postby NovaNoah » Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 pm (link to this post)

Man, Frozenbyte, I would kill for a editor right now.

Amazing DLC level by the way!

Edit: Woah, I just thought of the endless possibilities of making a mining cart level, zooming down a hill, dodging fireballs and levitating falling rocks, killing skeletons that are climbing on, shooting explosive barrels before they hit the cart, and then jumping over a post while the cart goes under, and then ramping up over lava, repairing parts of the track, and then jumping off at the last second before a fatal crash.
NovaNoah

Postby Kein » Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 pm (link to this post)

Calm down ppl, no one is going to release level editor after few months of the game release. The reason is simple: too small amount of ppl care about that, it is not worth effort. May be along with Trine 2 when it's again will be popular...
Last edited by Kein on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kein

Postby Rahabib » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:58 pm (link to this post)

Rahabib

Postby Ark » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 pm (link to this post)

Hope you'll consider releasing the Level Editor for Trine 2?
Ark

Postby -Volatile- » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:20 pm (link to this post)

I saw this game's trailer before, well my first thought was "nice graphics but prolly nowhere near a imba platform game like Little Big Planet"...

Well I am PC & PS3 gamer.Didnt buy this game on PS3 when it released cuz of my thought above and I must add I always prefer K&M over silly controllers (cuz of my 20+ years pc-gamer origin)

I purchased the game yesterday on last day steam sale.And I must say that this game is amazing.I usually play Little Big Planet on PS3 (2 million+ user created levels = never-ending fun) when I need to play platformer.

First of all when I opened the game and played first level, I was like "Lost Vikings anyone? good old days!"...The longer I played the more I got sucked into the game.Very nice graphics, physics engine is really good, possibilities of using different tactics to achieve goas are many.This game cleary is a masterpiece platformer.

But I would like to see one specific thing on Trine 2;
Multiplayer coop is a good addition thx for adding it to 2nd game.But IF YOU ESPECIALLY ADD A LEVEL EDITOR to next game (like Little Big Planet) this game would become a huge game on all platforms.Just look at LBP, 2million user created levels since its release there are many mind blowing ones out there, many times I was like "WTF? How the hell did you do that level???"

Pretty pls it does not have to be as complicated (complicated is a wrong word I think, LBP editor is too easy to use but too hard to master) level editor as LBP, but let us at least create our own levels on next game.This game would sell like bread & butter if you add that feature with an online interface like LBP where you can see newly created levels,ratings & comments on it.I know this would increase the total cost of the game but I am sure that many ppl are already ready to pay extra for such a good feature.
-Volatile-

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:26 pm (link to this post)

Well, unfortunately I have to say that no matter what happens, the level editor will not be released on the console platforms. It's simply impossible because the editor is based on PC technology (and Windows to be exact) and requires lots of PC things like filesystem access, keyboard/mouse etc.

PC is a different question altogether and we probably won't know until closer to release... but I think we're going to be a lot more careful in what we say because, well, this thread and reality didn't/haven't exactly matched...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby stubob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am (link to this post)

Will you release the level editor for trine 1 for the PC?
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?.... :wink:
stubob

Postby Kein » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am (link to this post)

I barely doubt the level editor will be released for Trine 1.
Also, even for T2 there is just a small hope it will be released as well.
Kein

Postby PinothyJ » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:47 pm (link to this post)

Finzy wrote: But please don't make it require any additional modelling tools or such since a lot of people can't afford them, and try to keep it as simple as possible so as many people as possible can create their own maps if they want to.

I disagree. The simpler you make it to be able to make a level, the more people who have absolutely no eye for design, taste or originality will be able to pop out a level and flood the web with horrible maps. This means that people have to sift through the crap in order to find anything remotely playable.

This is all rather cynical, I know, but simplifying how you do something cheapens the overall outcome.

Take this for example…
PinothyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Trine