Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

Online Co Op-360 version(PS3 owners get screwed once again?)

For discussion about Trine, released in 2009 for PC and on PSN. Mac & Linux versions released in 2010/2011.

Online Co Op-360 version(PS3 owners get screwed once again?)

Postby Jtrizzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 pm (link to this post)

Great. I knew something like this would happen as soon as I read that it was coming for 360.

God damn it. I'm not buying this anymore unless it's announced that it will be patched in by the time the 360 version releases. If this is some sort of exclusive deal with Microsoft, then that's one less sale.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/29/trine ... y-release/
Last edited by Jtrizzy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby SirDrago » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 pm (link to this post)

It would assume they would patch the PC and PSN version. I cant see Frozenbyte implementing online co op just for the 360.
SirDrago
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Postby Jtrizzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 pm (link to this post)

I don't know anything about Frozenbyte's history, but this is probably a Microsoft money hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was exclusive to 360.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby DarkJee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 pm (link to this post)

There will not have 360 exclusive online coop for this game, if frozenbyte develop online mode, its for the 3 versions
DarkJee
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Postby Jtrizzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm (link to this post)

Really? Not trying to be rude, but how do you know this? I hope you are right, especially considering that PSN/PC were the first to support this game.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby chautemoc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 pm (link to this post)

I believe Lauri has noted elsewhere in the forums this apparently wasn't able to be implemented in the initial versions of the PC/PSN versions, but may be later if sales are good, among other factors. It's a pretty huge deal...so I hope they do. :)
chautemoc
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 am

Postby Jtrizzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:45 pm (link to this post)

I know, I've been reading these forums for a few months now. I've been trying to hype this game to friends and others on various forums for quite a while now, but I'm not buying the game until there is some clarification with regard to online co op.

If it turns out that this feature is exclusive to Xbox, then I just won't buy the game, even though I have both PS3 an 360. At some point you have to take a stand against the bullshit that goes on in this industry, most of which is brought about by Microsoft. Hopefully all three versions will get it, and I'll look like a whiner for starting this thread.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby DarkJee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 pm (link to this post)

Jtrizzy wrote:Really? Not trying to be rude, but how do you know this? I hope you are right, especially considering that PSN/PC were the first to support this game.


Because its not even sure if frozenbyte develop an online mode, and if they do, they will not release it only on 360, that would cost too much and that would be a waste of money. If they will, its on the 3 version, or at least on PC and PSN, 360 version would be the last version to have exclusive content IMO
DarkJee
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Postby Jtrizzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 pm (link to this post)

I truly hope you are right, but the 360 gets exclusive dlc and game modes all the time. It's called paying the developer so they only release it for their system.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby tomnc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 pm (link to this post)

Jtrizzy wrote:I don't know anything about Frozenbyte's history, but this is probably a Microsoft money hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was exclusive to 360.


Maybe Sony should've charged for their online service, so they could bring more content/features ...
tomnc
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:26 am

Postby SirDrago » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 pm (link to this post)

tomnc wrote:
Jtrizzy wrote:I don't know anything about Frozenbyte's history, but this is probably a Microsoft money hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was exclusive to 360.


Maybe Sony should've charged for their online service, so they could bring more content/features ...


Yes because MS is great in blinding people that the 360 is actually cheaper. If you consider paying a few years for Live then the PS3 is actually the better deal.
SirDrago
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Postby brk7894 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 pm (link to this post)

don't be so rudee


ps3 version will proballyy get a patch with co op
brk7894
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Postby tomnc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:31 pm (link to this post)

SirDrago wrote:
tomnc wrote:
Jtrizzy wrote:I don't know anything about Frozenbyte's history, but this is probably a Microsoft money hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was exclusive to 360.


Maybe Sony should've charged for their online service, so they could bring more content/features ...


Yes because MS is great in blinding people that the 360 is actually cheaper. If you consider paying a few years for Live then the PS3 is actually the better deal.


I disagree. Yes, obviously Live will cost more than free, but then, a lot of people I know don't play online anyway. I own both so -- but would much rather pay the $30/year to get the (subjectively) better experience and more content. But that's me. If Sony had charged for some type of premium service, at least they could dump resources into their platform. As it is, it's trailing in both content and features.
tomnc
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:26 am

Postby dicer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:29 am (link to this post)

brk7894 wrote:ps3 version will proballyy get a patch with co op


I sure hope so. I will be buying this game regardless (probably on PS3) and would love to be able to play it online with friends.
dicer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:19 am

Postby wolfboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:33 am (link to this post)

As long as PSN/PC version gets patched with online co-op before 360 version is out, they won't feel jipped.
wolfboy
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:01 am

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:00 am (link to this post)

The XBLA version and its features is just speculation at this point. I can say that in all honesty, as developers, we would love as many people as possible to be able to play our games and therefore I hope Trine will eventually find its way to XBLA too. We are not really looking to take sides in the console wars, we just want people to play our games - obviously more platforms means more money but it also means that everybody could play the game on their favorite console.

That said, the fact is that the PSN and PC versions will be released a lot earlier than any possible other versions, and the PSN and PC versions are what we are focusing on right now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2478
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Postby olivehehe_03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 am (link to this post)

Wait, I'm not sure if I understand this. Because I get to sit down with two of my real life friends and play an awesome game in local offline coop I get screwed? Damn am I regretting owning my PS3 right now, damn those xbox fanboys and their paid online services... :roll:
olivehehe_03
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 am

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 am (link to this post)

Here's a short course to "how the news change":

First, a relatively unknown site posts some news they have made up (I've asked about this from Atlus and they confirmed it's the site's own story):
http://www.primotechnology.com/2009/06/ ... tive-play/

Then, a bigger site only suggests that some other site is saying something, but does not actually say that this will happen:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59321

Last, another bigger site maybe reads the first bigger site a bit incorrectly, and now the news have again altered a bit (This is my guess, I don't know the source of the story):
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/29/trine ... y-release/

On the actual topic I will not comment as no-one knows anything about XBLA at this point, and I really hope when some people do know, I would be one of them.
User avatar
FB_Lauri
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Postby Jtrizzy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am (link to this post)

olivehehe_03 wrote:Wait, I'm not sure if I understand this. Because I get to sit down with two of my real life friends and play an awesome game in local offline coop I get screwed? Damn am I regretting owning my PS3 right now, damn those xbox fanboys and their paid online services... :roll:



A lot of people are older or have families/jobs etc that don't allow much time for having friends over to play games, so online co op is really great in that respect.

As far as Trine I'll buy it in good faith for PS3, and let's be honest it looks like too much fun to pass on. You guys are up front and willing to stand up for your product, but I really hope you guys keep the feature sets the same and stay out of the console bullshit even if it means less profit for you.
Jtrizzy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 am

Postby zeek » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:03 pm (link to this post)

I don't know what the deal is with developers on PSN not including on-line COOP as a default feature in their games. People who have PSN and download games off PSN want to play together. A lot of games are coming out that do not have these capabilities that really should and lose out because of it. Trine looks like an excellent game, and watching the multiplayer aspects look like a heck of a lot of fun, but I want to do this online, not be restricted to local play.

Just my $0.02

edit: to add, this is a major problem with disc developers as well. Very few games include online multiplayer let alone coop, and it's a pain in the butt. What's the point of having the PSN if devs aren't going to use it to get players together cooperatively in their games. RE5 did it just fine.
zeek
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:08 pm (link to this post)

zeek wrote:I don't know what the deal is with developers on PSN not including on-line COOP as a default feature in their games. People who have PSN and download games off PSN want to play together. A lot of games are coming out that do not have these capabilities that really should and lose out because of it. Trine looks like an excellent game, and watching the multiplayer aspects look like a heck of a lot of fun, but I want to do this online, not be restricted to local play.

Just my $0.02

edit: to add, this is a major problem with disc developers as well. Very few games include online multiplayer let alone coop, and it's a pain in the butt. What's the point of having the PSN if devs aren't going to use it to get players together cooperatively in their games. RE5 did it just fine.


I'll repeat myself and many others by the... I don't know 50th time or so.

Online coop requires total redoing of the game engine, FB team didn't feel like rewriting the whole thing for 6 months or even more and giving a shit game with online coop instead of the current superb game without online coop.

Simply and quickly put.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P
User avatar
Mr. ShadowStealer
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Finland

Postby SirDrago » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:24 pm (link to this post)

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:
I'll repeat myself and many others by the... I don't know 50th time or so.

Online coop requires total redoing of the game engine, FB team didn't feel like rewriting the whole thing for 6 months or even more and giving a shit game with online coop instead of the current superb game without online coop.

Simply and quickly put.


Hm yeah it doesnt bother me too. Maybe im just too old....
SirDrago
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm


Return to Trine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RiikkaFB and 2 guests