Remember to check out the work-in-progress FAQs: Trine 2 FAQ, Humble Frozenbyte Bundle FAQ. You can also contact us by email.

PC release date: 10th of July

For discussion about Trine, released in 2009 for PC and on PSN. Mac & Linux versions released in 2010/2011.

PC release date: 10th of July

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:29 pm (link to this post)

Hello all!

Finally I have some information to share with you! The PC release date will be 10th of July at latest! (this means there is a very small change of having it earlier, but I would rather think it's the 10th).

For PSN, the release is "as soon as possible", I would say the 10th is a good starting point for that as well (well, closest Thursday is 9th), but I must stress that I have no certain date for PSN.

There will be numerous pre-order sites available, including Steam, in a couple of days.

Edit: It seems our publisher has announced the PC version for the 3rd of July. If this holds, all PC online channels will also have it the 3rd day.
FB_Lauri

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm (link to this post)

WHEE!!!! TRINE!!!! STEAM!!! PRE-ORDER!!! TRINE!!!

TrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrine
TrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrineTrine

:mrgreen: (And I am for real 20 years old adult.)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P
Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 pm (link to this post)

Lauri i have to say i would be pretty pissed if Trine wont come out on the 9th. You said Trine would be released 2 weeks earlier on the PSN then on the PC and now you are saying it might get released after the PC version?
SirDrago

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 pm (link to this post)

SirDrago wrote:Lauri i have to say i would be pretty pissed if Trine wont come out on the 9th. You said Trine would be released 2 weeks earlier on the PSN then on the PC and now you are saying it might get released after the PC version?

But its not Frozenbyte fault, it's because of Sony and their approval tests and things like that...

YIPEE Officialy July 10th!!! I'll preorder as soon as it will be available on steam!
DarkJee

Postby rmarx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:31 pm (link to this post)

Like he has said in multiple topics already : it's out of his hands, just be patient, it will come out eventually :wink:

I'm really thrilled as well that there is now a pretty fixed release date (at least for pc, the platform for which I will be buying the game, through steam).

I can't seem to find it on http://www.steampowered.com though, not even in the "Coming Soon" section... A search for "trine" returns no results either. Will there be pre-ordering or not? Quite interested in the real price (euro) now as well.

Can you give an indication about when the demo can be expected? Formerly it was said "about 2 weeks after release". Is this still the case and will there be a demo for PC?

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to play this already fantastic game :)
rmarx

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:35 pm (link to this post)

DarkJee wrote:
SirDrago wrote:Lauri i have to say i would be pretty pissed if Trine wont come out on the 9th. You said Trine would be released 2 weeks earlier on the PSN then on the PC and now you are saying it might get released after the PC version?

But its not Frozenbyte fault, it's because of Sony and their approval tests and things like that...

YIPEE Officialy July 10th!!! I'll preorder as soon as it will be available on steam!

True but if Lauri has no control over it then he shouldnt say it will come out 2 weeks earlier on the PSN.
SirDrago

Postby decoy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:26 pm (link to this post)

Definitely not his and FB fault, its upto nibolis and Sony , thats why i asked SAY on the matter.
IF company stresses to release ASAP with proper attitude than platform developers make it hurry if not then they play with their own rules.

Whatever the case is my fear of early/first PC release and youtube walkthroughs came true , but thanks to game gameplay structure i could TRY my OWN ways to solve puzzles, probably different from videos, lol
decoy

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 pm (link to this post)

I'm sorry for giving misleading information, the PSN release dates have been my best understanding, which due to many reasons have now "slipped" to early July.

However, I can say everyone at Frozenbyte are also very disappointed if the PSN release passes the 9th day. While it's not in our hands, it's partially us to blame if this happens, as Sony has very strict rules how the game is supposed to work. While we have done everything as best as we could, there were still a few surprises. Now, I'm hoping there won't be any more, which would hopefully mean the 9th day at latest. Please understand that the Sony rules are in order to make the game work with everyone who has PS3, and it's not since Sony is being big, evil corporation. So, if they find something to fix, it's always for a reason. What has caused the trouble is that we are so small company we are never able to match the testing power Sony has, so them finding something is always a possibility.

If we miss the 9th/10th day, anyone who is able and willing is welcome to come to our office to play the game, with complimentary snacks :D
FB_Lauri

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm (link to this post)

FB_Lauri wrote: While it's not in our hands, it's partially us to blame if this happens, as Sony has very strict rules how the game is supposed to work.

What do you mean? That sounds for me that you dont have a free hand in creating a game because Sony makes rules how a game is suppose to work?!
SirDrago

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 pm (link to this post)

SirDrago wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote: While it's not in our hands, it's partially us to blame if this happens, as Sony has very strict rules how the game is supposed to work.

What do you mean? That sounds for me that you dont have a free hand in creating a game because Sony makes rules how a game is suppose to work?!

That's absolutely not the point, I ment to say that Sony has strict technical guidelines the game must follow. I'll give a few examples of what they could be (I think we are not allowed to discuss the actual items):

- The game must work on both widescreen and 4:3 formats
- The game must be able to function with any audio system PS3 supports

While these are "duh, obvious" there are a number of requirements which are less obvious (more technical ones), but as well, they are very important in order to have the game function with all players. For the record, we have not failed any obvious stuff :D

For the content, Sony has only given (good) feedback, but we have had total freedom over the game and Trine reflects just as what we wanted to do (and we are very happy with the outcome, now we only are waiting to share it with rest of the world!)
FB_Lauri

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm (link to this post)

FB_Lauri wrote:That's absolutely not the point, I ment to say that Sony has strict technical guidelines the game must follow.

Ah ok then i missunderstood what you meant. I just hope it will come on the 9th.
SirDrago

Postby Heisem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:28 pm (link to this post)

too bad that us ps3 owners don't have a solid release date but hey...any news is good news, sounds like it's up to sony now. thanks for the update Lauri!!
Heisem

Postby Wilthew » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:09 am (link to this post)

Hello, a question, when is the date of the game exactly the PSN? :?:
greetings
Wilthew

Postby SirDrago » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:46 am (link to this post)

No one knows the exact date for the PSN.
SirDrago

Postby acare84 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:14 pm (link to this post)

Game is coming to Steam right? Is this officially announced? If so that is great I have Shadowgrounds Series on Steam as well and I will buy Trine too from Steam. I hope they will make preorder on Steam I can't wait.
acare84

Postby Wilthew » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 pm (link to this post)

but will be released after 10 or before July 10? :P
Wilthew

Postby tjm07090 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 pm (link to this post)

Oh man, how bitter sweet. I'm a little dissapointed that the psn version isn't coming out till early july, but if it comes out on the 9th I'll be estatic cause thats my birthday. That'd be AWESOME, I'd totally buy that for myself :D I think it'll also be good cause Trines been starting to become an obsession, I check these forums way too often lol. Heres for hoping for the 9th.

EDIT: also if you dont believe me check the user name :wink:
tjm07090

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:24 pm (link to this post)

I have started to check these forums daily. Earlier I didn't even remember I had an account on these forums. :D
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P
Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby kmanmx » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:05 pm (link to this post)

Hello, Frozenbyte (and the community !)

First, may i congratulate you on such an brilliant game. I played the demo yesterday, and it's just beautifull and superbly fun ! I am new to these forums, so my apologies if these questions have already been covered, if not, it would be great if you could try to answer them.

- I noticed the game features nVidia PhysX support. However, i only have an ATI card (Radeon 4870). Does this mean the PhysX is then calculated on the CPU ?, or does it not work at all and instead the game uses a different, normal physics engine for ATI users ? (The physics that i saw, were still great :D)

- Does the game feature just as good graphics and physics on the PS3 version ?, or is it a little toned down ?

- What anti-piracy measures are you implementing into the game ? It would be such a shame to see another small developer have such a great game just to be ruined by the Piracy scene where everyone gets the game for free ! :evil: (I know i'd be very annoyed to spend months and years on a game to let some filthy piracy criminal play the game for free !)

- How much will the game be ?

Thanks alot !
kmanmx

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:53 am (link to this post)

I'll answer on the ones I can:

- The game will run fine on ATi 4870. I have one in this very computer. The PhysX will then be done on CPU. If any ATi user encounters problems with physics, they may need to find an older version of PhysX (I think 8.06.12 will do - that's supplied with the full game as a stand-alone driver installer too.

- PS3 and PC versions are very close to each other. PS3 is 720p, on PC you can change the resolutions, that's the biggest difference. Other than that they look the same (to my eye at least, I can't remember if there was some tiny graphics difference but in any case it's not major).

- The retail version will have some copy protection but I do not know more details.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby chautemoc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:47 am (link to this post)

Copy protection = :(
I hope it's just a disk check, and no SecuROM or anything like that.
chautemoc

Postby No Bic » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 am (link to this post)

Heisem wrote:snip

i love your avatar Heisem. Awesome.
No Bic

Postby kmanmx » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:38 am (link to this post)

fb_joel wrote:I'll answer on the ones I can:

- The game will run fine on ATi 4870. I have one in this very computer. The PhysX will then be done on CPU. If any ATi user encounters problems with physics, they may need to find an older version of PhysX (I think 8.06.12 will do - that's supplied with the full game as a stand-alone driver installer too.

- PS3 and PC versions are very close to each other. PS3 is 720p, on PC you can change the resolutions, that's the biggest difference. Other than that they look the same (to my eye at least, I can't remember if there was some tiny graphics difference but in any case it's not major).

- The retail version will have some copy protection but I do not know more details.

Thats great, thanks :D

Blimey, if you don't have a nVidia GPU the PhysX sure does munch up your CPU :shock: My Intel Q9550 Quad Core @ 3.7Ghz uses 65percent on all four cores during the water scenes :lol:
But then PhysX is designed for the GPU, and does look and react brilliantly. So fair enough :D
kmanmx

Postby Question » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 am (link to this post)

My hope is that your next post on pc gaming details will involve an inclusion of online play :roll: . I need some of that, man.
I can haz online multiplayer naow?
Question

Postby Araris » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm (link to this post)

To my knowledge it doesn't have Securom (only EA includes that garbage), in any case, if you don't want to deal with DRM just buy it through Steam (which is a form of DRM itself but much less intrusive).
Araris

Return to Trine